Monday, January 21, 2008

On Inventions

My roommate is presently spending hours manually deleting text messages from his phone. When I asked him why he didn't just go to "delete all" and be done with it, he explained that there are certain text messages which hold a sentimental value; messages that he would like to hold on to. I can definitely relate. 


Sometimes it's nice to go back and re-read old messages and remember what you were doing, who you made plans with on what day, or just simple random messages that made you laugh or smile while you were having an otherwise regular day. I suppose I have the upper hand on him in the text message department as his phone can only hold 50 messages at a given time. I'm not sure how many mine can hold. I'm almost positive it isn't an infinite amount, but I'm at almost a thousand messages and nothing has come up asking me to delete any as of yet.

This whole matter of text messages really made me wish I was an inventor. Well, I suppose in the new-agey philosophical sense, we're all inventors; but I wish I was a fully capable inventor, complete with necessary materials and advanced knowledge of physics, calculus, and electronic engineering. If I were, I would definitely invent a text message printer. It could print out text messages on little fortune cookie sheets or something. Wouldn't that be awesome? I think so. I really wish I knew someone who invented stuff. I'd totally throw this idea their way. They could have the royalties from it and everything... so long as I get my own free fortune cookie paper text message printer.

I'm not really sure what the practical applications of such a machine would be. Having a bunch of little sheets of paper would be difficult to manage and much easier to lose than your cell phone. Perhaps this is why it hasn't caught on. But it would still be neat. Especially for scrapbooks, keepsake boxes, etc.

I need to work on my grammar skills. That last paragraph was laden with sentence fragments. Sweet mercy! I'm not looking forward to this semester's first batch of papers. That's gonna be ugly.

In other news, laura came to visit the city... and... me. Well, ok... mostly me, but we spent a considerable amount of time in the city as well. Theres some pictures that will make you go "awww," I may put them up here.

Enjoy your evening everyone.  

0 comments: